Most homeowners don’t put much thought into the health and wellness of their air conditioning units until something goes wrong. When that happens, a broken AC can really put a damper on your comfort.
Did you know that experts recommend scheduling AC maintenance at least once a year? If your AC unit seems to be working great, you may think this is unnecessary. However, maintenance on your air conditioner is just like any other equipment or machinery, such as your car. Regular tune-ups reduce the need for repairs and may extend equipment lifetime by years.
While the final decision on when to perform AC maintenance is up to the individual homeowner, there are several benefits to AC maintenance that might help you decide how often it should be done.
In this blog, we’ll cover:
- The benefits of AC maintenance
- When you should schedule maintenance
Looking to rejuvenate your HVAC system? It's time to connect with Four Seasons Heating & Air. We’re helping homeowners across Northwest Oregon maximize the lifespan of their AC units and save big on maintenance.
The Benefits of AC Maintenance
You might still be wondering why annual maintenance is necessary. After all, it’s an additional expense you’ll have to plan for and schedule ahead of time. For Portland homeowners like you, the main benefits of investing in annual AC checkups include:
- Fewer unexpected repairs. During an AC system tune-up, a technician will thoroughly inspect your AC. During this inspection, they can identify any minor problems and fix them before they turn into extensive, expensive repairs or replacements. Even if your service tech recommends a repair during the process, it’s still a repair you can make on your terms rather than when it becomes necessary in the middle of summer.
- Reduce energy bills: Dirty AC systems with faulty parts likely aren’t running as efficiently as they should be, which can cause an increase in your energy bills. That’s why it’s crucial to have an HVAC pro perform AC maintenance. A clean AC system will run more efficiently than a dirty one that has leaves, twigs, and dirt clogging it up.
- Longer time between system replacements: AC systems that are regularly maintained can last 15+ years. If you neglect necessary maintenance, your AC won’t cool your home efficiently or adequately for nearly as long as possible. Its lifespan will be shortened due to the additional wear and tear on the system.
- Increased comfort during the Portland summers: Just one tune-up a year is enough to ensure that your AC system is working efficiently. Regular maintenance helps your system produce and distribute the cool air more evenly and steadily. It also reduces the odds of coming home from work one summer’s day to find hot air blasting through your vents.
- Stay covered under warranty: It’s important to be aware that most HVAC manufacturers require proof of annual maintenance when you submit a repair claim under warranty. And, some AC manufacturers will void your manufacturer’s warranty if system maintenance isn’t performed annually by a professional. A parts warranty could save you a lot of money on repairs, so it’s good to keep it renewed as long as possible.
When To Schedule Maintenance
Regular, annual servicing is essential to keep your system running smoothly. But when’s the best time to schedule your air conditioner maintenance?
HVAC experts agree that AC maintenance should be conducted at least once a year, ideally in the spring. Spring is an excellent time to have a professional inspect your AC system for the following reasons:
- It’s been inactive. You likely won’t be running your AC during the winter in the Pacific Northwest. When an AC is inactive for an extended period, dirt, dust, and other debris can build up on its parts. An HVAC professional can clean out your unit to ensure it’s working at peak efficiency for the summer season.
- You’ll need it for summer. It’s critical to have a working, efficient AC during the summer here in Portland. That’s why it’s a great idea to conduct your AC maintenance in the spring, so your AC will be in tip-top shape when the warmest temperatures roll in. Remember, summer is when HVAC companies are the busiest, so you’ll have to compete for scheduling. You can beat the rush with preventative maintenance during the spring to ensure you won’t have a summertime HVAC breakdown.
Most HVAC companies offer a maintenance plan that offers additional benefits. For example, at Four Seasons Heating & Air Conditioning, we offer yearly heating and cooling maintenance. Our maintenance plan members receive:
- 15% off filters & replacement parts
- Priority scheduling for emergency service calls
- Pro-active reminders when it's time for maintenance
- No overtime charges
- The ability to quickly transfer your maintenance agreement to another home if you move
Understanding when to schedule maintenance is vital. But equally important is who to hire for your annual AC maintenance. Ensure you do your research and look for a reputable company with experienced, licensed, and NATE-certified technicians.
Need Maintenance or a Quick AC Tune-Up?
At Four Seasons Heating & Air, we offer the best brands, the best service, and the best pricing. We hold one of the most prestigious HVAC certifications (NATE) in the industry, so you can trust us to get your AC maintenance done right. Let us help you get your AC unit in tip-top shape so you can enjoy your summer in Portland without interruption.